Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 11 December 2022

Mystery Fort

 I took a bit of a gamble and purchased a small log fort that was clearly a toy and designed as some form of child's shooting game.  A bonus was that it was cheap at around £12 with a good number of lovely Minifigs S Range Crimean figures included:


When it arrived, I removed the centre and added a new floor from card.  With a bit of paint I quickly had a nice size little log fort that would work from the ECW out to the SYW and possibly beyond. Seen here with some SYW 25mm Minifigs infantry:


My question is, does anyone know what the original fort was called and who made it?  I think it originally worked by hitting the flag pole with a projectile which tilted on elastic bands causing little plastic spikes to come up through the floor and knock figures over.  I removed all of that.


17 comments:

  1. That makes an absolutely fantastic fort! I do hope somebody chirps up with who made it and what it was called for a trawl on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice little fort , I hope you find out who makes them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It measures only about 9 inches across, so is perfect for the average gaming table.

      Delete
  3. I found one on Ebay; the maker of it is listed as Pressman Toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, although I have never heard of Pressman Toys. Will take a look.

      Delete
    2. Found it on eBay but £58+ plus £26+ p&p! I think I'll just have to use your pictures as inspiration for a scratch-build.

      Delete
  4. Amazing find! Will make an impregnable BUA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must get my Prussians to brush up their FIBUA training!

      Delete
  5. Impressive wherever it came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems it is an American toy and designed for 54mm figures.

      Delete
  6. What an excellent purchase,you have done a terrific job with it!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. Its always nice when a speculative eBay purchase turns out to be worth it.

      Delete
  7. The fort looks really good. A very handy pickup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Peter, I think I can find several uses for it and it beats using a yoghurt carton to simulate the Mamelon!

      Delete
  8. Brilliant find, a tricky shape to scratch build so cheap at the price really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, it was indeed a bargain. I have looked on line and a new one would cost over $50 in the USA.

      Delete