Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Wednesday 28 December 2022

Ancient Ancients

 I have a small drawer full of really old Minifigs ancient figures, including Romans, Persians and Assyrians and a handful of Greeks.  Every once in a while I dig some out and for a change paint them.  On this occasion I have completed some AA 4s Assyrian Heavy Archer Firing Bow and AA 7s, Assyrian Light Spearman with Shield Advancing.  Although, they don't look like light spears to me, more telegraph poles.  

I did consider replacing the spears but thought that would diminish the charm of these early wargame figures:





I have a few more Assyrian types to paint while the mood holds!


8 comments:

  1. Ditto. I cant explain why I enjoy painting these figures, and they certainly dont fit with my main armies, but they have a real charm. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are terrible figures really, but they do look nice when done. I like your painting style very much and would love to see some pictures of your MF ancients.

      Delete
  2. Splendid work Bob…
    I do love these old toys… even the telegraph pole spears.
    It takes me right back to when I first started buying Minifigs.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a whole load from under the counter at a toy fair years ago. They had been sprayed gold and were all bent and buckled. Every once in a while I get the urge and paint a few. I do like them, particularly the Roman figures.

      Delete
  3. The figures certainly have a charm. The spears are chunky, they don’t break. My old S range of samurai still all have their spears intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spears may be thick but the ankles are very thin. Great care is needed when bending them back into shape. I see that Caliver is now selling the Samurai range in their 25mm Classics section.

      Delete
    2. Thick Spears and thin ankles, classic Wargames figures! I also enjoy painting old figure sculpts, they just seem much easier somehow.

      Delete
  4. Is it charm? Or is it just nostalgia? I can't tell but I don't care which I just like vintage figures, for me they have more life than many modern sculpts despite the anatomical errors and outdated historical interpretations.

    ReplyDelete