Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Monday 22 April 2024

Jacobite Rising 54mm Cavalry

 I have been after some cavalry for my Jacobite Rising scenarios for some time.  In 54mm scale, metal cavalry work out to be quite expensive, with a painted figure coming in at around £100.  I need four regiments of four figures each.

However, there is an inexpensive source in the shape of Del Prado figures.  In their 'Cavalry through the ages' range there are a few figures that would fit the late 1600 - mid 1700 period.  One such figure is the 'Blenheim Dragoon'. These were available in large numbers and can be picked up for £ 3-4 secondhand.  The paintwork is a little dull and scruffy in places, but with some touching up and new facings they look quite good.  

Here are the first three regiment:


I am looking at other figures in the range, especially to provide cavalry for my 1690 collection.  More on that to come.

10 comments:

  1. They are splendid and an amazing saving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not bad Norm, around £20 per four figure regiment. Fun to paint too.

      Delete
  2. I would never have thought about the Del Prado figures, but they are lovely and work very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donnie. You need to watch the Del Prado figures as some are a lot bigger than others. There is not a lot of choice for 17th/18th figures but a little conversion work can produce some acceptable examples.

      Delete
  3. These guys look marvellous Bob - I'm a bit surprised that Prado weigh in at 54mm - without really knowing much about them, I always imagined they were 70mm or so. If they vary in size, maybe that explains my confusion. I have a friend who collected a great number of the "Relive Waterloo" series, which I think of as "approximately 25mm". His collection looks great, but he has had a lot of trouble getting figures from other makers in a compatible scale. Maybe Del Prado go their own way in these matters? As for eBay prices, my mum had quite a few mounted Del Prado figures in her display cabinet, and since they were in rather nice condition, I put them on offer on eBay when we cleared her house. Very disappointing - not much interest, and those that sold went for the basic first bid price.

    Sorry - I digressed - I was being enthusiastic about your dragoons. I have never been involved in wargaming at large scales, but have seen it a couple of times at wargame shows, and it looks marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head regarding size. A bit like the Relive Waterloo figures, there is great variety. Some come in around the 60mm mark. Fortunately there are a few that match 54mm figures and the Blenheim dragoon is one. Wargaming in 54mm gives an impressive looking table too.

      Delete
  4. They look excellent and I am sure will look very imposing on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I am keen to try them out in our next battle.

      Delete
  5. A cunning plan successfully executed.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I just love it when a plan comes together!

      Delete