Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 10 September 2023

A New Project - WW1 Trench Warfare

For some time I have been contemplating some games based on later WW1 battles but finding a trench system has proved a challenge.  Recently I was lucky enough to get hold of a big box of Amara vacuformed plastic trenches; enough to cover both sides of a 6 x 4 table.  I spent several days painting them.

I was hoping to play these games in 15 -20mm scale but my recent acquisition is really for 28mm figures. So I decided to buy a British and german force from Irregular Miniatures and have been having fun painting the figures.  First off the production line are group of Germans:

A similar size British force is nearing completion.  I plan to steadily work through the figures over the coming weeks.


4 comments:

  1. Very interested to see your trench network, is it built up or sunk in w.r.t. ground level? What rules do you have in mind for these, a TFL set or perhaps Ian Beck's 'Trench'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, thanks for your comment. The trench work is raised, rather than sunk in. Not very realistic, but works and looks OK. Rules are a good question. I have a copy of C&C Great War rules and may use those, but I am open to ideas. I may look at adapting Rapid Fire WW2 rules.

      Delete
    2. We had a lot of fun with the Pz8 WW1 trench warfare rules, if you don't mind grids. They look a bit goofy but play very well. Great War Spearhead is good too, although you need a lot of stuff. I use my 20mm stuff with both of these.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Martin. I had a look at Pz8 but the link to the website appears to be broken. I see what you mean about GW Spearhead. It is probably a little large for my use. I am thinking of no more than a battalion or two per side.

      Delete