Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Saturday 5 April 2014

British Royal Horse Artillery

There are no British horse artillery figures in the Douglas Miniatures Crimean War range and so the options are to source figures from elsewhere or convert those that are available. I am keen to have as many Douglas figures in my collection as I can, so I opted for the conversion route. Using parts entirely from the Douglas range I think I have produced something that is acceptable. For the figures, I used the Douglas British foot artillery crews, with their coatee tailbacks and some other uniform items carved away. I also did a head swap from the Napoleonic British hussar figure. The heads were fixed by drilling small holes and using thin metal pins, along with super glue. For the limber I used the one in the range without modification, but had three outriders with six horses in the team.

Here is the result. I Troop RHA enters the battlefield:











6 comments:

  1. They look really nice! And the basing is good too. Jut enough grass material to suggest ground without being overwrought, which is a trap many figure painters fall into with their terrained bases. These are 20mm figures, correct?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stokes - they are indeed 20mm figures - I paint them in the 54mm "toy soldier" style though.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic results Bob. You have captured the look perfectly. I think the traditional gloss enamel look suits these figures well. Regards, M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob,
    The entire project is fantastic! I am really very tempted to do this myself, I was talking to Old John about the Douglas Crimea range just the other day. Great blog.

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A clever bit of conversion and beautifully painted as always!

    ReplyDelete