Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 20 April 2014

Scruby Russian Dragoon

I have been working my way through a batch of Scruby Ottoman Turks that I recently received from Historifigs, but I thought I would also paint one of the Scruby Russian Dragoons, just to see what they look like. One of the big weaknesses with this figure is the lack of reins on the horse. To me it looks odd (figure on the left):


The next thing that I do not like is the sword arm raised in the air. This would maybe OK for a single officer figure, but I think a whole unit would look odd. So, I added some reins using the wire core of freezer bag ties, having removed the outer plastic cover, and the sword arm is bent down and forward akin to the charging arm position. This is the result:











I am quite pleased with the result and will paint the whole unit, once the Turks  are finished.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, I think the Scruby figures are great. The toy soldier look really suits this style of figure. What colour do you use for flesh tones, do you use matt humbrol flesh with a gloss poly finish or do you mix your own from their gloss range?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael

      I use Humbrol gloss paint for the flesh, but there is no gloss flesh in the range. I get around this by mixing gloss white (22) with orange (18). Add the orange to the white in small amounts, stirring it in until you get the right shade. Alternatively you can mix a bit of red and yellow in to white - has the same result.

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that info Bob, I would never have thought to mix the orange into the white, but it gives a perfect result, cheers.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful job - these will fit in perfectly with the Douglas I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do still have a soft spot for Scruby figures and your results show why. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! I like the addition of reins and the arm repositioning. Jack's alternate arm position would have been down. Which might have been a better default, but made those figures harder to cast consistently/ Maybe when I get caught up and before we next make new horse molds I'll look into adding reins to the horses.

    ReplyDelete