Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Tuesday 23 April 2019

Easter Project

I have been thinking about producing a WW2 German recce group for my army, and just before Easter I acquired four eight wheel heavy armoured cars:
When I removed them from the packaging I found four plastic and basic vehicles that would need a lick of paint:
There are three versions of vehicle. One is a Puma 50mm armed vehicle and the other three have the option of either a 75mm support vehicle, or 20mm armed recce vehicle. I decided to have one support, two recce and the Puma armoured cars.

The vehicles needed to be properly assembled so I took them apart, creating a huge pile of bits:
There was quite a bit of flash that required cutting and filing down:
Anyway, after a couple of days of building and painting the re-assembled armoured cars now look like this:
The 75mm support vehicle:
Two 20mm armed vehicles:
And the Puma:
To support this group I also painted a unit of elite German infantry, using the old Mark 1 Airfix German infantry:
Now Easter is over, back to my ACW battle.






8 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Very nice work on the armoured cars and I can remember buying a Puma in the early 1970s! I like the old Airfix Germans as well - good to see them around again.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the old German infantry set. It is a shame that no heavy machine guns were included in the set, as well as mortars. The laying down chaps get chopped about making up support crews! The Puma is one of my favourite vehicles.

      I wish that Airfix would update their armoured car kit as it has the wrong mudguards and looks really weird.

      Delete
  2. I had hundreds of those Germans at one time , sadly all gone now .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us regret letting go of figures and other items that are becoming harder find in good condition. When I think back to some of the stuff I gave away.

      Delete
  3. Wow!
    Roco Minitanks and Airfix first edition Germans... truly vintage and to some maybe even architectural... ;-)

    Looking good...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, yes they are now classics. I was inspired by the picture in Grant's 'Battle' entitled ill met by moonlight, showing the same vehicles and figures. I suspect in reality the photo was underexposed!

      Delete
  4. My second box of Airfix figures! I think I still have the two original officers but I got some off eBay to convert into Italians for the desert.

    Super job as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeffers, I still have some of my original 1960s figures, but many are crumbling to dust. I have managed to super glue some, but many are beyond repair.

    ReplyDelete