Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Airfix WW1 German Infantry

After a fair bit of heart ache I have finally produced my first Airfix regiment from the boxes bought recently. I think this will be my last though as the remaining figures will be a real challenge. If I need more, I will buy second hand figures off ebay where I can see how much flash they have.

Anyway, I have a unit of Airfix Germans ready for action along with some casualty markers:

I have painted up two Hat regiments and I am currently working on two Hat Jaeger regiments, these will join the two old Airfix regiments that I already have in my collection.

6 comments:

  1. These figures have always been my favourite Airfix set. Vintage figures are much better than the current output, it’s how I get mine nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been keeping an eye open for some that have not gone brittle.

      Delete
  2. They look as good as anything available today. The MG Team was one of my favourite pieces.
    How many did I have of them way back?..hundreds. Trenches dug in the garden, "barbedwire" made using any copper wire I could lay my Hands on then wrapped around a pencil to create the coil, mud bombs to re-create huge explosions. If it was that time of year more realistic explosions using brocks bangers covered in a light pile of dirt....happy days. How many have I got now?...very few, most are still buried in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proper toy soldiers. Most of my early Airfix ACW went the same way. Dried earth clots do make marvellous artillery rounds!

      Delete
  3. Well, despite the pain you've still managed to make them look good! If you go eBay, try for the later rectangular packs (if you can get them) from the late 70s. A good tip, if there is no box, is to check the photos for broken figures: if there are a few arms etc missing then there is a good chance they have all gone crispy and should be avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice there. I am keeping watch on ebay.

    ReplyDelete