Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 17 May 2015

Royal Marine Detachment

During the Battle of Balaclava reference is made of a Royal Marine detachment that was positioned on a rise to the right rear of the 93rd Highlanders, protecting the approaches to Balaclava Harbour. There is little detail given about this unit, which appears to have been about 1,200 strong. They were reinforced with a couple companies of Highlanders and some Turks. During the actual battle they played little part, although their presence was crucial for the defence of the harbour. I have been keen to represent them, but I have run out of Douglas figures, so once again I have turned to the Strelets range and used some of the Rifles and a few gunners. The Royal Marines wore standard infantry equipment and uniforms, so any line infantry would have done the trick. The colours are made from internet downloads, adapted for the Crimean War period:





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always! Like you, I have always been curious about this (ad hoc) formation at Balaklava. I don't think I've ever seen it in miniature anywhere else besides your blog. High time say I.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting unit beautifully portrayed!

    ReplyDelete