Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Monday 29 May 2017

Britains Deetail Napoleonics - A long term project

I have a fair number of old Britains plastic Napoleonic or Waterloo figures. Having enjoyed doing battle with my Britains ACW, I thought it might be fun doing the same with the old Napoleonic stuff. However, those in my collection are not in very good condition:

Most annoyingly many that should have backpacks do not and they just have two lugs on their back. Below you can see from the left hand figure what they should look like:
So, hoping to resolve the problem I asked Old John if he could cast some metal replacement backpacks for me, using an original plastic version as a master. Hey presto! Here is the result:
Old John did a great job and I now have enough packs to repair most of my Napoleonics. Even so, the resulting figure still looks a bit scruffy and as the backpack will need to be painted, I thought why not do the whole figure and this is the result:
This has some potential. I painted some more British:
.....and French:

So far I have painted a Battalion of Highlanders and I am half way through some French line infantry. Sometime downstream I will put them all on the table and do battle.

In the meantime, I am still pondering Command and Colors using 25mm figures...more later.






6 comments:

  1. They look tantelizingly (Is that a real word?) good!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what you mean! I reckon these figures could be made to look really good if time was spent on them. I am doing my usual toy soldier look - just enough to look OK on the table. I have some cavalry too and I am plucking up the courage to slap some paint on them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! I remember looking at a glass cabinet at my local toy store stuffed full of these figures wishing I had the pocket money to buy them as well as the Civil War figures too. I seem to remember some Scots Grays too but no artillery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are six different cavalry regiments in the Deetail range- Scots Greys, Life Guards and 10th Hussars for the British; as well as Cuirassiers, Carabiniers and Guard Chasseurs for the French, with two figure poses for each regiment - so 12 figures all told. You are correct; no artillery though.

      Delete
  4. very nice figures well done

    ReplyDelete