Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Help needed - Russian Naval Infantry Flag

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has a definitive source that can confirm details of Russian naval infantry. In particular I am trying to confirm whether naval infantry carried colours and if they did, what they might look like. I have scoured my books and the internet with no conclusive evidence. Many images show Russian naval infantry carrying the naval ensign, which is a blue St Andrews cross on a white background:

But, is this correct. One source shows some war-game figures with this flag, but with a Regimental number in gold in the centre. There is also a painting of naval infantry and artillery defending Sebastopol and this flag flies behind them. If anyone know of a source that confirms the design of naval infantry colours (if indeed they actually carried them) and could let me know I would be most grateful.

2 comments:

  1. A few years back I did research the naval flags - I concluded the St Andrews cross with the battalion number was correct but I cannot remember where I finally got that information from...hope this sort of helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt. I think I will go with that.

    ReplyDelete