Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 22 July 2018

Opening the boxes - US Infantry

The first box that decided to open has a label - US 87th Infantry. I seem to remember giving regimental numbers according to scale. There should be boxes for 87th, 76th, 72nd etc.

This box contained Airfix first type US marines, which came as a surprise, as I thought I had already found these and based them. Here are the contents:
All quite nicely painted and best of all there were some US light anti-tank guns, as well as some jeeps, heavy machine guns and commanders,

Last night I finished off basing them and when added to the original battalion painted last week I have a sizable force, which I will call a brigade:
The vehicles are 1/76  scale and somewhere I know I have some half-tracks and tanks, as well as artillery.

Amongst this group are some interesting conversions. First off there are two 37mm? anti-tank guns with converted crew:
A couple of heavy machine guns:
Some additional bazooka men:
and a rather smart looking senior command figure group:
Next I am going to go hunting for tanks and vehicles.





6 comments:

  1. Loved the first US Marines - I got them in about 1971 and thought they looked oriental, so I told my dad they were really Vietnamese!
    The 37mm guns are probably Nitto, from the Jeep set which had two in the box. Nitto made some nice kits but after a couple of years the tracks disintegrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info regarding the anti-tank guns. I have found that the tracks on my old Matchbox kits have become brittle and broken away.

      Delete
  2. What a(-nother) find! And the command ground is fantastic.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes, I keep finding these long forgotten conversions.

      Delete
  3. i really like the general stand, using the Airfix MP as a general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the General is based on the old Airfix MP figure, but this one appears to be a copy made in hard plastic.

      Delete