Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Thursday 8 August 2019

Soviet Artillery and Air Support

As part of the preparation for my forthcoming WW2 mini-campaign, I have completed the artillery support of the Soviet forces, along with some aircraft.

The guns are metal and by Irregular Miniatures, from their Really Useful Guns range and are scaled at somewhere between 15 and 20mm. Exactly what I needed to go with my Roco tanks and vehicles. The crews are 20mm, but on the small side and work well with the Airfix Russians:

First there are two field gun units, equipped with 122mm guns:
Second, we have two units of heavier 152mm guns:
I have also created some air support, in the shape of 2 x IL-2 ground attack aircraft and two La-5 fighters:
The aircraft are 1/144 scale by Zvezda.


6 comments:

  1. The Zvezda aeroplanes are very nice. I have some of their 109s & stukas in desert colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, perfect for wargaming as they go together very quickly, are of simple design and come with decals too. Zvezda also produce some unusual subjects.

      Delete
  2. Methinks dear old Zvezda might be getting an order from me for some aircraft soon... Thanks for the heads-up. I like the look of those 122mm guns. They look very scratch-buildable to me... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about scratch building too, however, the Irregular Miniatures guns are really good value at around £4 and they arrive in a couple of days of ordering.

      Delete
  3. I've also got quite a few Zvezda planes, including a couple of Laggs to build. The IL2s are hard to get as they seem to go out of stock the second they come in.

    Good call on Irregular for the 122s. I've been pondering my own Soviet artillery needs and they'd be just the bill. Almost all my WW1 heavy artillery is Irregular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like Irregular Miniatures - the 20mm stuff is proper 20mm and the range is stuffed with unusual items.

    ReplyDelete