Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Thursday 19 September 2019

SYW Russian Guard Grenadiers

In a batch of figures, purchased as part of the Eric Knowles collection, I was intrigued by some rather odd looking figures. They are typical SYW figures, but their Russian grenadier helmets are adorned with massive plumes made from ostrich feathers. I just had to paint them.

After a bit of research I was able to work out the uniform colours and importantly what the plumes might look like. It seems officers wore white, rank and file a dark red and NCOs and musicians a combination of red and white.

The figures are by Minifigs and they join my slowly expanding SYW forces:

I have enough SYW figures to keep me going for many months, if not years. I have decided to paint a brigade size element for each major nationality, plus some of the minor states. This will quickly give me enough troops to try out some table top action.



12 comments:

  1. Really attractive figures! Your painting treatment of them is really appealing.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes, I think the shiny basic paint style suits these figures.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, I am not sure that these fellows would go to war in this garb though.

      Delete
  3. What a spectacular unit! Most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, serious headware. I believe it was made from ostrich feathers mounted onto the normal grenadier mitre/cap.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, thogh I believe they had quite a fearsome reputation in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete