Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Glorious Airfix

 One of the most enduring Airfix sets has got to be Washington's Army.  At one time (I believe) these figures were the only 20mm tricorne wearing troops available. They have served in the Prussian army, fought the Jacobites and British Grenadiers. They have been painted as french and Austrians. They are not very accurate and there are some odd poses, but they are charming and still of use for wargaming.

Over the weekend a dug a load out and painted one lot as British and another as Americans. Not very well painted, but they look OK at arms length and will join my other Airfix units:


What fun. I have been bitten by the bug and more figures will follow - maybe even a French regiment or two!

23 comments:

  1. Bob -
    I have long regarded the Airfix AWI sets as some of their best - and most versatile - work. Not perfect, but they look the part for any 18th century war games. The ONE caveat was that there were only 4 of one of standing and loading guys the Washington's Army against 6 each of the other line infantry poses. At that you got 36 grenadiers (excluding officer figures) against 22 'Washington's Army.

    So, if you were building a generic 7YW army, you sort of had to get at least 3 WA to 1 BG. I think I went for a much higher ratio than that. Setting up units with 8 grenadiers and 24 line, left me with a surplus of standing firing guys. They became jager units. As you have done, I used 2 poses per regiment: standing firing and loading became Imperialists; kneeling firing and 'chewing on the musket barrels' became Electoral. Eventually some of the latter a friend got, but I kept enough to form 3 line regiments in the service of Hessen-Rohr.

    Even then I ended up with grenadier units, and a whole lot of 'marching' and 'crouching grenadiers that formed their own units. One lot also entered the service of Hessen-Rohr as the Leibgarde Infantry; the other formed the grenadier companies of the Ursaminor army.

    Many of the other poses supplied tricorn hats for my cavalry, although I ought to have kept a reasonable number of dudes carrying barrels for sappers. I made an unwise decision there!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts Ion. I have acquired and given away and reacquired hundreds of these figures over the years. There are loads of better figures on the market, but I just like the Airfix offerings. I wish that they had expanded the range to allow more complete armies. The Grenadiers are nice but you only need one battalion for the whole British army, maybe two. I have hundreds of Grenadiers currently unemployed.

      Delete
    2. I don't think Airfix ever quite understood their market. They thought they were selling toys - and they were - but didn't quite grasp the games these toys were used for. I believe the likes of Zvezda and Strelets-R do understand their market very well.

      Having said that, one might have used the mounted officer of the Airfix RHA as British AWI light cavalry, I think. However, I preferred to use my figure collection for generic European wars. At that I'm not consistent. My army of Altmark-Uberheim comprises Revell infantry and Airfix, Revell and Italieri cavalry, with British RHA artillerymen with ESCI British cannon. The Imperialists have Airfix and a few (2 36-figure regiments and a 24-figure battalion, led by one Prinz von Wurlitzer) Revell infantry, ESCI, Italieri and Revell horse, with RHA gunners and ESCI Nap French cannon.
      A pretty eclectic sort of collection! These two armies together comprise well over a thousand figures, and I haven't mentioned the (smaller) armies of M'yasma and Hessen-Rohr...
      Cheers,
      Ion


      Delete
    3. I took a peak at your blog and I am very impressed with the beautifully painted figures, as well as you imagination of using napoleonic figures as stand ins.

      Delete
  2. They look great, the Washington's army and the British Grenadiers were two of my favourites, I too used them as so many different armies, really nice to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. It's a shame that Airfix did not expand the range like they did for Waterloo, with artillery, cavalry etc.

      Delete
  3. The joy of repurposing! It takes me back to painting the AWI British Grenadier set as French Old Guard to storm my Airfix Waterloo Farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a lot of fun and they are so cheap that you can buy more if you make a mess of things!

      Delete
  4. They look splendid Bob! This set has always been a favourite of mine, though I'm pretty sure that the flag bearer will end up on a charge for his handling of the Standard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it - all my WA flagbearers had to 'bear' their colours in an upright fashion, which meant the cast flag was removed and a wire flag staff and paper flag created for him. The result I found quite satisfactory. I replaced the grenadier flags as well.

      Delete
    2. Yes, not quite sure whether they are saluting Washington or surrendering. I have replaced some of my flags with paper ones, but I decided to paint these as they come in the box.

      Delete
  5. They look very smart. Something which passed me by at the time unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, there's still plenty out there for sale - hint hint.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, it's strange how so many of us reflect on the old Airfix figures with affection.

      Delete
  7. HAT have just released some very nice AWI sets. They fit rather well with Airfix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to purchase some. I am looking for light infantry with the crested helmets.

      Delete
    2. They do some crested helmet lights in the dragoon box. The infantry box has their later uniform with slouch hat.

      Delete
    3. Well spotted, I had not noticed that. I may get some.

      Delete
  8. Bless Airfix!
    I played with the AWI sets in the 60's but in the 70's switched to metals. 10 years later Airfix ACW invaded my house again and settled in for good (along with some of every make I got my hands on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, like you Airfix have come and gone in my house, but for some reason, after a few years, I acquire more. I guess they are in my blood and I probably enjoy painting them and playing with them more than anything.

      Delete
  9. The British grenadiers were one of the first real ( small 20mm) soldiers I had. Bought from the local stationery shop for 12p. They then served as French Imperial Guard then British guards when Airfix released the French. They weren't painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pitman. I have been toying with the idea of painting some of my Airfix grenadiers as French SYW grenadiers. They would look good in blue!

      Delete