Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Thursday 20 June 2024

Experimenting with Speed Paints

 Most of my painting using Speed paints has been on figures of a more colourful nature.  I thought it might be fun to try the techniques on some WW2 figures.


Choosing the right colours was an interesting exercise, as the paints seem to be tailored towards the fantasy world, with 'Goblin Skin', 'Slaughter Red' and 'Palid Bone' being examples.  However, it is possible to mix the paints and to thin them down to make lighter tones.

As an experiment, I primed and based some 54mm Airfix Japanese and a single Britains 8th Army figure. Here are the results:


I am going to paint some more Japanese and some Airfix Australians.  I have in mind a Jungle based skirmish game.



5 comments:

  1. Cracking job on them, they have turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I am having fun trying out all of the colours, with some surprising results. I like the 8th Army officer though.

      Delete
  2. This result is seperb! The bad thing in stuff like speedpaints or citadel contrast is that they can deliver you too many dirty spots on a figurine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Too much paint and it can run and pool in areas. The trick is to keep the amount of paint to a minimum and not be tempted to splash it on.

      Delete
  3. They look very good! When trying to get some variety in lighter coloured WW2 uniforms, finding the right colours can be a real pain.

    ReplyDelete