Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 16 June 2024

54mm Punic Wars Velites and Elephant

 Another batch of figures are completed.  A set of HaT Republican Roman Velites (light infantry) as well as a Carthaginian war elephant and crew.

The Velites wear the classic wolf skins and carry javelins and swords:


The Carthaginian War Elephant has a crew of three, a driver, a soldier with a long pike and a standard bearer.  The set makes up into a nice model; however, it is quite small, probably closer to 1/35 scale, maybe even 1/48.  That said it looks OK and I am sure that it will blend in on the wargames table:


I am currently working on some Italian allied cavalry.  After that, I have some imperial roman infantry to paint.


9 comments:

  1. Hello there Bob,

    If I remember correctly the breed of elephants the Carthaginians used was quite small - I also recall that the breed itself is now extinct but stand to be corrected on both points. It does look a cracking model though.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too read somewhere that the elephants were a smaller breed, however, I don't think there was a smaller breed of humans. Definitely a smaller scale, but it will do for wargaming purposes.

      Delete
  2. Jumbo figures in more ways than one! All jokes aside, they look grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I am pleased with the results that can be achieved with Speed Paints.

      Delete
  3. Splendid toys Bob…
    Love the Elephant… it looks big enough for me 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, He should look OK on the table - I hope.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on the Velites and the elephant is a cracking little model, I am sure David C is correct that the elephants used were a smaller breed from North Africa which has since died out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Donnie. As mentioned above, I think there is some truth in that, however, the humans are much smaller too with this model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I now see the problem, the scale is a bit awry compared to infantry, should be fine on the table, and they do look very nice.

      Delete