Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 7 July 2019

Creating a German Battle group

I continue to reorganise my Airfix and other WW2 soldiers. This time I have re-based my Airfix German infantry and painted up some more of my Roco Minitanks to create a combined arms force. I have not given the elements a particular designation as in different scenarios they could be used for different size units. For example, a tank unit of 4 tanks could be a platoon, a company or even a larger formation.

Here is an overview of the whole force:
The battle group consists of infantry, three units, a unit of assault guns, two units of medium tanks and a unit of heavy tanks. In support is a recce unit, an artillery unit (I need more of these) an anti aircraft unit and finally some transport.

Here are the infantry units, mostly re-based figures:
There is supporting machine gun, mortar and anti-tank units:
Supporting the infantry is a unit of Stug III assault guns; the picture also shows one of the medium tank units equipped with Panthers:

The other medium tank unit is made up of Panzer MK IVs:
And the heavy tank unit is equipped with Tiger 1s:
Out in front of the battle group is my reconnaissance unit:
At the moment I only have one artillery unit; I probably need some more. This is a 150mm gun unit:
Also in support is a self propelled anti-aircraft unit with 20mm and 37mm tracked guns:
Transport is provided by a number of half tracks.

I plan to organise my soviet army along similar lines and I thought it might be a good idea to fight a series of actions as part of a campaign with the two forces spread over a map - more thinking required!






5 comments:

  1. This could as well be a Panzer Division, with a brigade sized SS Kampfgruppe in support. Looks nicely organised! (Wish I could say the same about my own...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is more or less what I was thinking for a campaign based game. I feel the SS group needs a little more in the way of support elements. Will think about that.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think the type 1 figures work really well with Minitanks, which is why I use them. I had a few casualties as I renewed the bases, as some are becoming quite brittle.

      Delete
  3. Great to see the original Airfix figures, I have fond memories of these although the British were rubbish in comparison. Weren't there some with their hands up (or was that the Africa Corps?). What scale are the Minitanks?

    ReplyDelete