Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Saturday 17 April 2021

Plastic Soldier Company 'The Great War'

 A few weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a set of PSC's 'The Great War' board game and rules.  I have been thinking about this for some time as I have an interest in WW1 but always tended to shy away from the later trench warfare.  This game appears to offer some fast play rules and the necessary pieces to make this possible. It comes in a huge box that very much matches the Command and Colors game style:

The main differences between this game and the C&C offerings are that the playing area is larger, as are the hexes.  Also, the playing pieces consist of plastic miniatures in 15mm scale, as opposed to the little wooden blocks:

My plan however, will be to transport this game onto the wargames table, with slightly larger hexes and 3D scenery.  I have also decided that the figures need to be painted.  I have completed the British, which I have mounted on bases.  In all there are 150 figures, which is quite a painting task.  This is what I have managed to do so far; British infantry:


There are three machinegun teams:

And three mortars:

I have based the Germans and will be starting the painting over the weekend.  I have also nearly finished off my badly battered medieval knights, with just some final touching up to do.





4 comments:

  1. Brilliant game - played all the scenarios twice and have moved onto the French box , very tactical and the use of 'off table' resources at the right time can make the difference .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bought this but was disgusted at the poor production quality of the figures which were so brittle they broke while being painted on the sprue! There was no interest in my club for playing it so I sold it off at a huge loss in a convention flea market

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stuart, the figures in my game are made of a soft plastic that is not brittle. I am trying to find the tank expansion sets.

      Delete