Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Wednesday 16 September 2020

My Big Idea

I have always had a desire to play games representing some of the bigger battles, with several corps or complete armies involved.  I have looked at some of the Command and Colors scenarios and also Bob Cordery's Portable Napoleonic Wargames systems.  Both rule sets are very good and work for me; however, the one thing that does not is the representation of the units and formations on the table.  

Obviously, to make a game portable it has to be quite small and involve just a few playing pieces, but for me, wanting to use the rules on a bigger table, having a corps made up from nine figure divisions does not work.

So, for the past year or so, I have been looking at ways of addressing this and finally came to the conclusion that 2mm figures provide the answer.  I have replaced each figure used in the Portable game with around 70 in 2mm scale.  Thus a corps, in this case Anglo Dutch Napoleonic, would like this:


It occupies the same space on the board (I am using four inch hexes) as the 25mm figure version, but I think it actually looks more like an army corps.  Three or four of these would make up a complete army.

Furthermore, painting is quick. Once based and primed in black using a rattle can, the above corps took me less than a day to paint. It is possible to get a bit of detail onto these figures too. here is and artillery unit:

I have also started my French army:


I plan to continue to build up my armies and will play out a scenario to see how it works with small figures.


4 comments:

  1. Hello there Bob,

    These are really nice looking and capture that massed look. Any thoughts on Ancients at all?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. No plans yet for ancients. I think I would do that in 6mm scale though.

      Delete
  2. Great result on the painting Bob - 2mm certainly can provide the look of an Army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine what the real thing must have looked (and smelled)like though?

      Delete