Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Friday 23 February 2024

Jacobite Rising

 I have been after this game for some time and when a copy came up for sale, I had to have it. The game is based upon Command & Colors Tricorne and is produced by compass games:


Inside the box is the usual 13 x 9 hex board, but in a pale green. Then there are the trillions of wooden blocks.  Each block has to have two stickers attached - a time consuming process sitting in front of the TV. There is a good selection of terrain tiles reflecting the hilly, damp moorlands, with farmsteads, rivers and roads.

I have set out one of the scenarios in the rule book; the battle of Glen Shiel 10 June 1719.  The Government forces are nearest the camera in red, with the Jacobites in blue:




The rules are very similar to other C&C games and anyone who has played C&C Napoleonic will easily pick up on the rules; however, there are some differences that reflect the nature of the terrain and the fighting qualities of the troops, especially the Jacobite highlanders when they launch a close combat charge. The Goverment forces might run away!

The cards used in the game are different.  The Command Cards are similar to others games, but the there are Tactic Command cards specific to each side:


I have yet to play a game and so I am not clear as to how the tactic cards will influence the outcome, but it looks like fun.

As always, in the longer term, I plan to substitute the wooden blocks with figures and that process is underway.  I have ordered some 6mm figures from Baccus.




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info, I have resisted this game so far will be interested to see how you get on with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to give it a go next month when Bob Black is next over. I will post a battle report.

      Delete
  2. Got a copy of this when it came out and think I have played all the scenarios through , it's one of my favorite C&C games I think and the extra cards give it a period flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to giving it a go. It certainly looks interesting.

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob,

    It is a cracking game and the tactics cards really add some flavour. They also use them in Tricorne and Samurai Battles. 6mm eh? Looking to see how the armies come out in due course.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DC. The good reports from those who have played this game are encouraging. I am currently sorting through piles of 6mm tricorne type soldiers!

      Delete