Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Monday 21 August 2023

A Poke in the Eye - Tank Action

 With a spare hour or two, Will and I decided to play a quick WW2 armoured engagement.  Sides and units were decided by dice throws. I sniggered inwardly as I got a German force and even more so as I was given some Panzer IVs, a Stug III platoon and some heavy armoured cars.  Will ended up with the Soviets, mostly T-34 76s, some amoured cars and a handful of T-34 85s.  This should be a walk over methinks.

The two forces were placed on a table of rolling open eastern European countryside.  


My plan was to bring my tanks up to a ridge and pick off his tanks as they emerged into the open ground. My Stugs sat poised behind the rise in front of them.


 The PZ IVs moved up in support:


My first success was the elimination of a BT-7 light tank, using my Stug tank destroyers:

As my plan unfolded my armour deploys onto the crest to take on the exposed soviets:
But my tanks are not shooting well and one of my Stugs is hit.
However, a T-34 is also taken out, but a PZ IV that joins the battle burns on the ridge:
Then things go bad for the Germans.  The dice gods are not friendly as round after round bounce off the soviet armour.  All the while German tanks are slammed by 76 and 85mm rounds. Soon the German defence of the ridge is defeated, with half of my tank force on fire and the Soviets continue to advance:


Suddenly it is all over, the Germans are defeated 6-2 and withdraw the remnants of the force to lick their wounds.  

All of the model tanks were Roco Minitanks, apart from some 3D printed Armoured cars.  The rules used were my own home grown 'Tank Action' rules, which I have explained elsewhere on this blog.









2 comments:

  1. Lovely little write-up, Bob, and it was clear things weren't going to be going your way the moment I read you "sniggered" at the success of your early dice rolls. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't do any harm to get beaten up every so often as it reminds one not to be too rash, even if you think you have the advantage!

      Delete