Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 26 January 2020

SYW Project - Test Figures

Last night I varnished and painted the bases of a small sample of the collection, just to see how they would look and how easy it would be to carry out.  Varnishing was time consuming and painting the bases proved quite easy, although getting into three horse stands required care.

First off is a small unit of Prussian Mounted Jaegers, which included an even smaller group of foot soldiers to represent the unit dismounted:

I also gave the same treatment to a Prussian artillery battery and a general figure:

Deployed for firing:
Limbered up:
And the guns with their crews:
I am quite pleased with the results so far,




11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think they will do and I haven't messed around with the original paintwork too much.

      Delete
  2. They´ve certainly passed the test, they look lovley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind coming from one of the master figure painters.

      Delete
  3. They are splendid indeed - and I am lucky to have recently acquired some of their former comrades. May I enquire about the varnishing - was it simply a coat of gloss, or various coats, perhaps of various types?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see them when finished. I used one coat of high gloss yacht varnish - which I hope will not yellow!

      Delete
  4. Just discovered you via a TMP post. Really love the 'old-school' style! Shiny figures on plain green bases. So nostalgic. Your troops look great. Best, Seb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seb, thank you for your comments and I am pleased to have found another admirer of old shiney figures. I tend to go for the toy soldier look, hence the plain bases.

      Delete