Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Friday 17 May 2019

Back to Basics - ACW Battle Report

I thought I should get around to posting the battle report for my recent ACW action.  The game was fast moving and fun.

The battlefield, with the Confederates (Rebels) converging on a crossroads of the turnpike, with a small Federal force holding it and a nearby river bridge, but with reinforcements on the way:
The action started on the Rebel right with an attempt to take the bridge, supported by forces already on the other bank. A vigorous battle began. The bridge was stoutly defended by Union sharpshooters supported by artillery, with reserves rushing up to assist:


Meanwhile, in the centre Rebel guns blast away at the Union artillery:
The Rebel plan was to put pressure on the Union left around the bridge, draw in as many reserves as possible and then carry out the main assault on the Union centre and right.

Throughout the initial few turns, the Union had rotten luck. losing most of the initiative tests, allowing the Rebels to batter their way forwards.

On the right the Rebel assault pushes forwards over the bridge:
And another Rebel brigade moves forwards in support:
After losing a Regiment while crossing the bridge the rebels continue to apply pressure, as the union sharpshooters break and a union gun is overwhelmed:

Union reserves continue to move up to the action, while the Union Iron Brigade commander orders one regiment to swing around to fire into the flank of the advancing Rebels:

This move causes some casualties to the Rebels, but their advance continues, sweeping aside the Union defences by the bridge, while the Union New York regiment is pushed back from the area of the crossroads:
At last the luck of the Union changes for the better. The Union reserves begin to arrive to support hard pressed units:
The Iron brigade continues to pour fire into the rebel flank:
At last the Union troops manage to stabilise the situation, with opposing battle lines slugging it out. Some of the Rebels begin to waver:

But, at this point the Rebel commander commits his reserves on the Union right as new columns of infantry advance:
The Rebels deploy into battle lines and supported by artillery, pour fire into the Iron Brigade. One Union Regiment is routed:
The Union forces break and those units that can begin to withdraw from the field and the Rebels gain control of the crossroads.  A major victory for the Confederates.












11 comments:

  1. Great to see Airfix figure armies in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the old Airfix figures and enjoy painting them, which brings them to life.

      Delete
  2. ... and a range stick :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, really back to basics. But, you know what? It actually works quite well.

      Delete
  3. Airfix ACW figures never fail to please me - fantastic images Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have played more games with these figures than any others in my collection. I still think they look good with a lick of paint on them.

      Delete
  4. And it still makes me regret giving my Airfix ACW away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob
    Nothing to do with the game I am afraid but could you email me on abcwargamers.gmail.com I wondered whether you would like a Crimean War wargaming item

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, could you confirm that email address please.

      Delete
  6. A fantastic looking game Bob...
    All that Airfix loveliness... these are the sort of armies I wished I had when I was young...
    Alas my pocket money could only stretch to a box every couple of weeks... that was of course if I didn’t buy anything else... and how many 11 year olds save. ;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete