Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday, 12 February 2017

Game Number 3 - Donald Featherstone

Continuing the revisit of my vintage wargame books, I stumbled across a demonstration game in "Battles with Model Soldiers" by Donald Featherstone, which pitches two small forces together on a basic wargames table.

The battle is designed to demonstrate the horse and musket rules described in the book. The rules are not set out as tables, so I had to pick through the text - although that did not take long as they are very simple:

The game is played on a balanced table with a road running diagonally across it, a single wall and two woods, one on each flank:

This is my interpretation of the map with the troops set out - a gun, two regiments of infantry and one regiment of cavalry each side:


I had planned to use my Airfix ACW troops, but they are not organised as per these rules, so I dug out the box of Britains plastics. Infantry Regiments consist of 20 men, a standard bearer and an officer. I had just enough for the two the regiments needed for each side. The guns are by Timpo, with four Imex gunners. Cavalry regiments consist of nine men, one officer and a standard bearer. Some views of the troops:

Federal:

Confederate:

I will report on the battle and how the rules worked in my next post.





3 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing more...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this really brings back memories. The Brittains ACW figures were my favourites - I had the lot but remember not playing with them much as they were my "bestest" troops only for looking at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like them too. I acquired most of mine when Beaties closed some of its branches and sold off the figures for a few pence.The only thing I don't like about Britains plastics are the bright lime green bases, which I always paint out.

      Delete